Monday 12 January 2015

Rough Cut

This is a simple edit of just my timings and structure so far, as Windows Movie Maker doesn't provide many audio or editing transition options. Some of my clips are also repeated, as I haven't chosen which final ones to use.

Audio: Rowan's narration audio is mostly clear due to the quiet locations used and her well-spoken, clear and projecting voice; however I will use noise reduction for all of the clips, with higher percentages for her narration inside The Forum location which is muffled. The background noise during the interview proposes a greater problem, as I noticed it's quite loud. I will test how effective noise reduction is on Final Cut Pro during my final editing, but if it's ineffective, I will foley their dialogue. This would be especially important for Emily's dialogue, as she's slightly quieter than Rowan. I'll also add my non-diegetic music in my final edits with ducking, as I don't have enough final footage to organise the timings yet. I'll also be splitting the audio from some of Rowan's footage to use as a voiceover for the location and tracking shots.

Timings: As 30 seconds+ of my footage so far is repetitive shots or shots which will be split into voiceovers during my final editing, I only potentially have 2 minutes of footage whilst I've shot less than half of my total footage. Although it's possible that I could reach a 5 minute total duration once I've finished filming, I feel that this would be too risky in relation to my deadline. This has therefore encouraged me to adapt/ add to my script and shot list and re-shoot to prevent this issue.

Quality: Overall I'm very pleased with my lighting and high footage quality so far, however I may apply a brightening filter to counteract the yellow glare from the artificial lighting with my interview footage.

Editing footage: I will be applying all of my editing transitions, titles and subtitles, text, effects, crops/ kens burns, and filters etc. according to my shot-list and storyboard during my final editing on Final Cut Pro, as Windows Movie Maker is very limited in this area for the types of editing which I require.

Cinematography: I'm slightly unhappy with some of my quality of shots, particularly this shot of Rowan in The Forum.

I don't like the amount of space above her within this mid shot, as it is unconventional for mid shots and makes it look unprofessional and un-aesthetically pleasing. I also don't like the background of the fire extinguisher and the bottom floor. Therefore when I next re-shoot this footage, I will use a mid shot in front of the 'BBC Radio' sign, which is my cleaner and therefore focuses to Rowan whilst looking aesthetically pleasing. This sign also relates to the music industry which she is discussing during this shot, making my footage and narration link/ flow - one of my main aims for my production.

I will also consider using a different location for this shot, as I'm not sure on whether I find the drainpipe which takes up the left third aesthetically pleasing; however I'll ask for a second opinion from my media teacher.

My extreme wide, tilt and pan shot (00:29) is also unstable once it reaches the lowest height within the shot, therefore I'll be testing whether it could be corrected using Final Cut Pro stablisation, or re-shoot it during my next shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment